Ah, the lowly potato. So delicious and so dangerous for diabetics.
Here are eight ways to put some excitement into boring old mashed:
- Roast a yellow pepper under the broiler, remove the skin, puree in a MiniPrep with 35% cream and mash away.
- Horseradish and sour cream or yogurt in mashed is nice with beef.
- Throw some carrots in with the potatoes and mash with yogurt.
- Grated Parmesan and fresh parsley is very nice with this Irish staple.
- Lobster meat, 35% cream, and a bit of horseradish if you’re feeling well-heeled.
- Slowly sauteed shallot with goat cheese, yogurt or cream and a little parmesan is quite delicious with the spud.
- Creme Fraiche and butter.
- And my favourite: Dice up a bundle of green onions and gently cook in a bit of oil or butter until lightly browned and wilted. Mash with buttermilk. It tastes like sour cream and onion potato chips.
- And when I say oil, never use Canola oil. It is an industrial oil from rapeseed that they sold to the sheeple as a healthfood. You can read about its sordid history here.